logo legally married in Thailand

Frequently asked Questions

Fequently asked questions –  FAQ about getting legally married in Thailand. 

 These are often asked questions about getting married in Thailand. 


You trust “Amazon.com” do you not?  They started with no normal retails shops… We started as a brick and mortar offices. Then we realized the only person who stayed in the office was the receptionists, they were bored and there salary cost more than the few people that ever came in generated in profit.  So we realised better we keep our prices low and go the 21st century way. So we have since expanded and have staff in 5 cities around Thailand. Only our original Chiang Mai office is open to the public, as contains  “Jits” family home upstairs.

Believe me, the Front doors are seldom open as she is normally “off looking after clients”. So if you drop by unexpectedly, so don’t be surprised to the front doors closed. So best to call ahead. 

Who is Legally married in Thailand?

You most likely be in direct contact with our chief administrator. Somchit Srimoon when corresponding with us by email or phone, but on arrival you will be in the capable hands of our local staff in different cities, who located in the cities like Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui, Krabi or other major locations. Not to worry as any time you want you may call her, when in Thailand for whatever reason be it marriage-related questions or not. 

Baan Rak Registrar Policy

We do not use the registrar at Baan Rak in Bangkok at any time. As they take too long and ask for special documents that are not required.

I am a dual citizen, what do I do to marry in Thailand?

You enter Thailand on the passport you intend to marry with, as the passport number will be recorded on the actual marriage certificate. As well the freedom of affidavit must be issued by that embassy as well.

May I marry a second wife as I am Muslim in Thailand?

NO Thailand does not recognize plural marriages any longer. It does recognize any faith marriage as long as they are properly documented but they will not allow the registration of more than one wife or husband at a time.

I am going to have a Thai wedding, but have no embassy or consulate in Thailand to issue the required Thai marriage documents. What can I do?

That depends on your nationality but normally there is a way around it, but you MUST talk with an expert on that matter directly as here is not the place to answer as each nationality and the personal case is different. So please send your inquiry to us through the questionnaire. But do not just come and assume it can all be arranged in the country because it can not.

I am a legal resident of of The States but I am a Mexican citizen can I get my Freedom to Marry affidavits from the American embassy in Bangkok?

No, you must get your “Affidavit of Freedom to Marry” from the embassy or consulate of which you are a national of. This embassy or consulate must be in Thailand. Without it being issued by your own embassy you may not marry in Thailand.

Why do you not help in my embassy with paperwork, like other sites say they do?

There are very few if any embassies that will allow non-nationals in and to assist their nationals with any documentation or process unless they are legally involved. It has to do with undue influence laws and common sense. If you can not get any service from your embassy then just maybe there is a problem. We want to make sure all our marriages are done in full accordance with all laws. Also remember that your embassy is your county legally, not Thailand. Not my fault other “experts, on the internet” really do not know what they are supposed to know and are just a middleman. Or worse they just are liars. What do they say 50 lawyers chain together at the bottom of the ocean is called….
Sorry to our clients that are lawyers who can not also laugh at themselves.

Can I get the marriage affidavit I need from my embassy in another embassy outside Thailand?

No, it must be issued in Thailand unless you have no consulate or embassy in Thailand. Then best you contact us about the procedure. This is because Thai FM also check the authenticity of the signatures on file. They only have signature samples of Thai based consular staff.

Do I need to bring my divorce papers to my embassy in another language of my country?

Please, Yes! For example, if you are British national then do not expect the British embassy to accept Mexican divorce papers in Spanish, without being translated into English as I do not expect a Spanish translator in the embassy.