Do It Yourself?

This is for people who truly wish to know what legal documentation which is required, for a DIY marriage registration in Thailand.

  1. Get affidavits from your respective embassies.
  2. Make photocopies of your passport (photo and detail page) and arrival card (stapled in your passport on arrival) and arrival stamp.
  3. Have a translation of affidavits into the Thai language by an approved Foreign Ministry translator.
  4. Take the originals and translation and copies of your passport and arrival card to Legalization Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs 3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok Tel:(02) 575-1057-8, Fax:(02) 575-1054
  5. Fill in a request form and pay fee 400 Baht for a 3 or more working day service.
  6. Then return to the Legalization Division later or 4 working days respectively to retrieve your finished paperwork.
  7. Go to the local District office or Registrar office to marry, All now require a qualified translator and a Thai national as a witness, but some – don’t forget to find out beforehand. Many now will demand you return days later while they check with the embassy which really means they will not register you ever as I have personally never heard of any registry office ever checking anything with any embassy. .
  8. Get your marriage certificate translated here in Thailand, as back home, it is costly and difficult.
  9. Some countries require that you have the translation certified by the Foreign Ministry so you’ll have to go back to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and do it all over again.

Here is an extract from the Canadian embassy’s website that states what they consider a reasonable time frame for the marriage process for Canadians who embark on the registration process on their own. With our help, you can achieve it in 4 days! 

For most couple registering in the south means only means being at your embassy in Bangkok at an appointed time for like 30 minutes and we do the rest for you till you go to the registry office or the registrar goes to the wedding venue.

  • Affirm/swear an affidavit of freedom to marry (1 morning)
  •   Have the affidavit translated into Thai (1 – 2 working days)
  •   The notarized English affidavit must be translated into Thai by a certified translator.
  •   Have all documents certified/authenticated Now takes 3-4 working days
  •   Take the notarized affidavit and Thai translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have the translation certified and the signature of the Canadian official authenticated. 3 full working days
  •   Register the marriage (1 day)
  •   Have the marriage certificate translated — optional (1 day)

This is the basic requirements but can be more complicated than it sounds. I besonable believe that you should leave the paperwork to us! If you agree, contact us.

Contact Us

*Please note for residents living abroad from their native country, you must get an affidavit from the embassy of the nation in Bangkok you hold a passport for and have entered Thailand on that passport 

Please check with your embassy ahead of time to assure there is no problem getting the affidavit on arrival and what documents they will require.